Monday, April 8, 2013

Sunset Thoughts/Analogies

Tonight I was outside in the wind, the horrible, troublesome wind. Boxes were flying everywhere from someone's yard, sagebrush was rolling along, and I think I saw a plastic bag or two floating in the air. The wind in Idaho is fierce - fierce and relentless I tell you. As I was trying to gather the cardboard boxes, I caught a glimpse of the sun setting. It was beautiful with the orange, red and yellowish hues. I hurried and contained the boxes so I could take a picture of the sunset with my phone. As I scurried to snap the shot, my camera was full on my phone - I had previously used up all of the space/storage. I was frantically deleting previous pictures so I could get that vibrant sunset. When I thought I had deleted enough photos, I positioned my phone/camera again to take the picture, but I noticed that the sun was gone under the skyline. "Shoot!" I thought to myself..."I missed it!"  I was sad and discouraged. Two thoughts/analogies immediately crossed my mind relating to the situation: 

1) I need to be better prepared and focused. My phone was too full to get that great sunset picture. If I had been ready and had deleted photos previously, I could have enjoyed the whole scene more fully in the present, and later on by going back and looking at the photo on my phone. Note to self: I need to be better prepared in general in my life. Better equipped spiritually to help myself and more importantly my family as turbulent winds surround us in these last days. Getting more food storage needs to be a priority. Going to the temple more often is a way I can be better prepared to help ward off Satan. Journaling/recording the now, so later on I can look back and remember memories created.

 2) Despite all of the rumble and rushing winds surrounding me - there is beauty and good around. Spending more time deliberately paying more/better attention to my boys while building positive relationships that really matter, is what it is all about. There is no better time than now to soak in the young stages the boys are in. Some days I wish they were more independent, but when that thought enters my head I need to let Trace Adkins' song go through my head, "You're gonna miss this." I truly need to savor the stages they are in now, for it will soon be gone - just like the sun was gone before I knew it. And remember, I was really sad that I missed it. I don't want to later on be depressed and have regrets regarding their younger years. A worthwhile goal of mine is to be more in the present with relationships. More specifically - seek the good in people and seek the positive in the world because there really is a lot out there. People in general are good, and have a lot to offer. Although the winds were about 50 mph, the sunset still trumped the cold, frigid wind. The sun caught my attention enough that I was willing to stand in the unpleasantness to enjoy its beauty.

Even though I sure dislike the disturbing Idaho wind, because of it, I went outside and gained insight that warmed my soul.
 

2 comments:

Becky Billat said...

Good analogy! My iPhone pic storage is always full too. ;)

Angela said...

Good to think this wind is actually good for something. Beautiful post!